Log in

No account? Create an account
March 2018   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
NF-Lee's Gildor and Frodo

Why I haven’t been posting lately.

Posted on 2008.06.11 at 18:25


just_ann_now at 2008-07-06 20:48 (UTC) (Link)

Oh dear

Mechtild, I apologize profusely for not responding to this heartbreaking post in a timely manner. I can't even remember what was going on mid-June when you posted this; I remember that you had gone to visit your mother, and then that you were back.

If things have progressed to their painful conclusion, and you're not inclined to want to talk about it I understand completely, but in any case here's a hug that you can claim now or put away for another time. {{hug}}.
mechtild at 2008-07-07 22:38 (UTC) (Link)

Re: Oh dear

Oh, Ann, thanks so much. I've been away the last nine days, for a sort of family reunion for the week of the Fourth of July (in the VA suburbs of D.C., not that far from you). It was a lot of work, since my sister and I did the hostessing (food buying/preparing and serving/clean-up, entertaining) for the people staying at my mother's house, but I think it was a success, which pleases me. I'd hate for the people who'd flown in to have had a bad time.

Raoul, our darling Elder Statesman, was eased into death on June 19, the week before we left. It sounds odd, but it was sad but beautiful, the vet so nice, and Glen (my husband) able to be there this time, to attend Raoul on his leave-taking. When he died he seemed to be very relieved, as if we had truly given him a "euthanasia", a happy death. We found ourselves weeping over Raoul in the following days, in the midst of work or at home with each other, but we felt, after the fact, that we had done the right thing.

Our feline survivors, Pixie (the one with breast cancer) and Angelo, were disoriented and lonesome for him, expressing it in their disparate ways, but they settled down enough for us to feel at ease about leaving them in the care of the neighbour, who came over twice a day while we were gone. That was a HUGE relief, since we thought Pixie and/or Angelo would still be sick enough to require drops or pills, which would mean hiring a clinic worker from the vet's to come over, because they know how to give meds. We got back last night, and both cats looked really good, even Pixie. You'd never know she had a fatal illness, or had had a big surgery just over a month before.

Anyway, thanks so much, Ann. You are very kind and compassionate to post to this entry. And I don't mind a bit that it happened later. It's nice to hear you speak of it, like a compassionate echo.
Previous Entry  Next Entry